Monday, February 6, 2017

Origami Printing

For Christmas I got some origami paper.  It was beautiful and as I've never tried anything like this before, I followed some online instructions to make a few origami pieces.  I found it very addictive to the point where every day I try and learn a new piece or practice making ones I've already learned.  My memory is shocking and I frequently forget after a few days how each one is made if I don't keep practicing.

So then, looking at the flat origami shapes, I thought about making larger versions and printing from them.  It worked after a little trial and error and here are the results.

(It is only a coincedence that I am posting this now, so close to Valentines Day as I am not sentimental, nor into any of that gushy, once a year, lovey-dove fest.)



I thought that the ghost print of the origami would be the best and I tried it in gold.  It was NOT GOOD.  There was no detail and the sewing on the paper origami 'plate' didn't help.


The actual print from the origami itself was better.


So I tried it in black ink against a roughly inked up background to contrast with the lines and precision of the origami




The different levels of ink on the origami give different results but what was really nice and intriguing were the ghost prints from the back of the origami




Then I printed a star.  The origami has to be flat so I need to learn a few more to continue this series.







Crane*

*Not suitable for printing!



1 comment: